Boone Hall Plantation in South Carolina (USA)

For some years the Horlbeck family of Charleston was owner of the Boone Hall Plantation.


  • 1817 Henry and John Horlbeck came into possession of Boone Hall.

The Horlbeck brothers were in the brick business. They built many houses in downtown Charleston using the brick from their plantations. Some of the buildings include: the German Friendly Society Kitchen, St Stephen's Episcopal Church, and St John's Lutheran Church.


  • 1837 – Henry Horlbeck died and left the property to his brother, John.
  • 1839 – John Horlbeck sold the plantation to Henry's children.
  • 1842 – The children decided to turn the plantation over to four of the brothers: Henry, Daniel, Edward, and John.
  • 1843 – The Horlbeck brothers began to construct the Avenue of Oaks that led up to the plantation house.
  • 1850 – According to the District Census, Boone Hall was producing 4,000,000 bricks per year using 85 slaves .
  • 1872 – The plantation was sold to Henry Horlbeck's two sons, Frederick Henry Horlbeck and John S. Horlbeck.


At some point during the Horlbeck ownership, pecan trees were planted on the property. By the late 1800s Boone Hall was one of the lead producers of pecans in the United States.


  • 1902 – John S. Horlbeck leased the timber rights to the Dorchester Land and Timber Company for five years.
  • 1916 – John S. Horlbeck died on May 17. He left his son and daughter (Frederick H. and Elizabeth L. Horlbeck) in charge of his estate.
  • 1935 – Thomas Archibald Stone and his wife Alexandra purchased Boone Hall Plantation from the Estate of John S. Horlbeck.


The Avenue of Oaks was started in 1843 and is three-quarters of a mile long. There are about 88 live oak trees and one magnolia tree. Spanish moss hangs from the trees.

Avenue of Oaks was made famous in movies such as „Gone with the Wind“ and  the popular series „North and South“.



On the following site you can see some historical pictures from old Boone Hall Plantation.